Sunday, December 18, 2011

GOOD BYE MAURITANIA

BismiLLAHI maa Shaa ALLAH, no goodness except from ALLAH.
BismiLLAHI maa Shaa ALLAH, no reliance except upon ALLAH.
BismiLLAHI maa Shaa ALLAH, no guidance except by ALLAH.
Was salaatu was salaamu ‘alaa RasuliLLAH.

I thought my not posting on this blog for a long time now was a successful strategy of forgetting about it but that strategy failed when I remembered today that I need this blog so much because I want to reach you. Let me just entertain you a bit with my ever uneventful adventure in this path that I have been travelling through over the years.

Finally, I have left Mauritania: A dream come true. Will I be back again? Yes but only to visit my teachers. As for studying, I doubt if I will sacrifice months again in Mauritania to study texts: so many reasons for that.

It was very difficult for me to finally make that decision to leave Mauritania. I left the village two weeks before Ramadhan hoping to travel to Senegal to spend ramadhan and EID but all that didn’t work out as I was left contemplating if my leaving was the right thing to do. From Senegal, I was wondering where I would since I cancelled my plan to travel to Malaysia for further university studies as the conditions of admission were not what I expected. I thought of going back to sham but not with the present crisis, far from it my friend suggested India and some suggested Sudan and Egypt.

So confused I was, I decided to remain in Nouakchott, doing revision and relieving myself from the difficult days in Nabbaghiyyah. I studied a little with the opportunity that I had and did so many but little things. At the end, I finally decided to leave Mauritania but not with ease. My friend sidi Bilal who came down to Mauritania with his wonderful family suggested to me a beautiful idea that I will let you know in my subsequent posts insha ALLAH.

Few days before leaving Mauritania, I got yet another malaria. This year, malaria was a good companion in Mauritania. Not giving me a breathing space. I didn’t bother too much but took off for Senegal in my ill state. I travelled by land to Senegal. For those who have travelled through the Senegali-mauritanian border of Rosso know how crazy that place is. My first experience travelling through the border was in 2008 and it was hell for me. I was duped and refused entry to Mauritania after two long trips from Dakar to the border.

This time around, things were easier than I thought and I passed through without too much stress or problems from the rogues at the border. Maybe it was easier because I have become too stubborn and arrogant in this last few months but all the success still goes back to ALLAH’s favours on me. From the border, I travelled straight to Madinah kaolack, the popular city of the Tijanis of Senegal. It is a place where many people travel to particularly people from my country.

There I got a good reception from my friend who lodged me in the house of his grandfather, the present Khalifah of the tijaniyyah-Ibrahimiyyah branch of the tariqah. I had a good time there and celebrated EID. There was so much for me to eat and drink there and I forgot about my zuhd days in Nabbaghiyyah. Infact, I had a big bed to sleep on which was very odd for me after months of sleeping on mats and blankets. This reminded of my experience last year when I visited home. My mother would prepare the bed for me to sleep but I would resort to sleeping on the rug. She got angry and would say, what if you got married, would you be sleeping on the rug like that??? My sweet mum, she didn’t understand that I was passing through a big transition to city life after staying in the village for long. Well, she didn’t know I was living in a village without electricity and infrastructures because I hid everything away from them.

In Kaolack, I visited different maqaams, places and people, met my country people and even met small boys from my state who spoke with me my dialect. I realized that I have lost so much of my dialect to Arabic as most of what I tried saying was mixed with Arabic. That is one weakness in me that I need to work on for da’wah activities in the future.

I spent two weeks in Kaolack, it was generally fun except for my last two days.

I left Kaolack for Dakar, the capital of Senegal where I was going to meet my friend and teacher, Shaykh Mustafa. Shaykh Mustafa, was one out of the numerous advanced students in Nabbaghiyyah and above all, very unique. He was already a teacher in Senegal before coming to Mauritania to study. I will talk about him insha ALLAH in another post. It is in Shaykh Mustafa’s house I have been staying since my arrival in Senegal and it has been a very good stay. I learn from him every day and we talk about life in Mauritania. So many things happened in the village that I am yet to know and I spent three years there.

Staying with sidi Mustafa here, I recall some beautiful moments with friends and shuyukh in Mauritania but not living out the worst moments of my life there. I can sum it up that, seeking knowledge for me this year wasn’t too pleqsqnt. I faced so many challenges and trials. This year, I almost lost my life to hepatitis attack that we thought it was malaria. So many things happened...but above all, I saw the pains many students go through daily just to survive or seek knowledge. Mauritania like so many think is a place you come to see sahabis like Abu bakr, Umar, Fatimah, Aishah, etc (Radhiya ALLAHU anhum). You can only see the truth of Mauritania if you lived ‘in’ the people, in the villages, read their lives in its true nature and not what people just say. I won’t mention some of those things here but to sum everything up, Mauritania has goods just like there are bads in her.

I request from you all to make duas for me and my family. You can reciprocate my love for you by remembering us in your duas. What are you waiting for? Start making duas now. Send solawaat on the Prophet (alayhis salaam), do any possible good for me my dear brethren.

May ALLAH be our Guide and Protector and may HE forgive us our sins and shower upon us His mercies, amin.
Was salaamu ‘alaykum warahmatULLAH.

5 comments:

Abu Adeeba said...

Asalaamu 'alaikum

Brother, we were hoping you could help us with research we are conducting for a follow up rebuttal on the subject of the Hadith of the fly initially published on our website: http://www.islam-sikhism.info/feed/jaskaran01.htm

We wanted to ask if you knew of any students of knowledge who have studied in Mauritania we could contact in person to try and ask them about whether they or the scholars there apply this hadith's instructions. This will serve as anecdotal evidence to support the hadith in terms of action.

Please let us know either way if you can help.

JazakAllaah khair.

Wa salaam.

Musafira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guruzone said...

@Abu Adeeba, wa alaykum as salaam. Yes. But do you need to use the actions of the mauritanian Shuyukh as proof in rebutting claims of Sikhs? Besides, some are fiqhi issues.
@Musafira, amin. shukran shukran shukran. Keep making duas. Allahu ma'ak.

Abu Adeeba said...

It will serve as supportive evidence.

If you can help, that'll be appreciated.

malik said...

salam alykum, its good to see that you are still keeping this updated brother. I asked in your previous post how I can study in Mauritania but I received no reply. I just want to ask you brother if you can help me. I am planning to study abroad in near future.

please email me your contact details